Take charge and act like an owner. Be dependable, conscientious, and empathetic.
Be bold and demonstrate courage to experiment. Take smart risks - innovation isn't possible without taking risks.
Show intellectual curiosity. Challenge yourself, learn, and never settle for where you are.
Be awesome at the things that really matter and don't worry about the rest.
Break out of your echo chamber. Deliberately draw in different ideas and perspectives.
Be present in meetings and discussions. Finish meetings with clear action plans.
Be loyal to our people, our customers, and our partners.
Software Engineer working on Discovery Center
Location: Winchester, UK Type: Full Time
An independent software vendor with a global presence, Active Navigation design, develop and sell industry leading software solutions for the information governance market. Our products empower organisations of any size to understand and remove risk from their data, wherever it is.
With offices in the UK and US, the hub for our development team is in Winchester, situated at a superb location in the heart of the city, close to transport links. We champion modern software development techniques, embrace genuine agile working practices, and seek opportunities to continuously improve our processes as well as our people.
Fuelled by year-on-year growth and external investment, now is the perfect time to be joining us on our journey.
As a developer in the Discovery Center team you will be helping with the ongoing development of our information governance solution that enables our customers to catalog and assess the unstructured data they hold, and to embark on cleanup, reorganisation and migration projects.
We develop through the full stack using Microsoft .NET and SQL as our core technologies, augmented with a broad range of other tools. We utilise modern DevOps processes and continuous integration practices to encourage a whole team approach to the regular delivery of value to our customers.
This role entails involvement in the full development lifecycle and the opportunity to devise and implement your own solutions to complex software problems.
As part of a self-managing sprint team you can expect to work collaboratively, providing visibility and accountability through daily stand-ups and a regular cadence of ceremonies, usually across a two-week sprint cycle. We utilise market leading tools including Slack and Zoom to support cross-company communication.
Each sprint team is made up of the apposite mix of software engineers and test automation engineers, meaning in this role you will:
- Apply your experience and skillset to engineer high quality, maintainable and testable code using test-driven and behaviour-driven development techniques as appropriate
- Work closely with product owners and key stakeholders to refine acceptance criteria and assure overall product alignment
- Collaborate regularly and provide fast feedback to achieve sprint commitments
- Regularly input into our continuous integration process, checking in and reviewing code, managing the process through TeamCity and Git
- Be committed to maintaining your skillset and keep up to date with emerging technologies
We are passionate about finding great people to join us. We value enthusiasm and dedication to helping the team achieve its goals. Our aim is to nurture an open culture which encourages creative approaches to work where commitments are kept, and your success can be celebrated.
We believe we offer a unique opportunity to further your career and achieve your aspirations working as part of an energetic and vibrant community of committed professionals.
To realise your potential in this role, you will need:
- Industry experience with C#, .NET framework and SQL
- A good understanding of test-driven development practices and development of automated unit tests using tools such as NUnit
- Interest in modern architecture patterns to enable the production of maintainable, high quality software
- Experience of working with BDD tools e.g. SpecFlow
We are committed to releasing our staff to innovate and believe it is a core aspect in the life of a healthy development team. We actively encourage individual and team-led innovation time.
Time is also dedicated to personal growth and we actively support skills-based training. All permanent development staff are offered access to Pluralsight and currently we have several team members working towards different qualifications in Applications Development and DevOps.
- Competitive, market benchmarked salary
- Flexible working, supporting home working up to two days per week *
- Regular individual and team-led innovation time
- MSDN licence & Pluralsight access
- Private medical and life insurance
- Company and individual contribution pension scheme
* During the current health situation, we are working remotely but our Winchester office will shortly be reopening on a voluntary basis to provide greater flexibility
The Recruitment Process
Our interview process generally consists of two stages. If your CV is selected, we will arrange a 15-30-minute telephone call or Zoom meeting to discuss the role and learn more about your experience and aspirations.
The second stage is a face-to-face interview via Zoom. Prior to the interview we will ask you to complete a development task relevant to the role, with the aim of walking us through the results during the interview. We favour this approach to give you the opportunity to demonstrate your technical skills as well as your ability to problem solve rather than solely basing your application on your CV and Q&A.
All Active Navigation staff are required to comply with the company’s Information Security policies.
Data Discovery Solutions Ltd ta Active Navigation provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, colour, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
You must be able to legally work in the United Kingdom.Apply Now
Don’t see a position that’s the right fit for you? We’re always keen to meet people who’d like to join our team. To be considered for future positions, please send your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org