Cloud Software Engineer (Repository Engineering)
An independent software vendor with a global presence, ActiveNav design, develop and sell industry leading software solutions for the information governance market. Our products empower organisations of any size to understand and remove risk from their data, wherever it is.
With offices in the UK and US, the hub for our development team is in Winchester, situated at a superb location in the heart of the city, close to transport links. We champion modern software development techniques, embrace genuine agile working practices, and seek opportunities to continuously improve our processes as well as our people.
Fuelled by year-on-year growth and external investment, now is the perfect time to be joining us on our journey.
About the role:
ActiveNav Inventory is our revolutionary Data Mapping as a Service (DMaaS) product built on an Azure-based serverless architecture, using Azure Functions, App Services, Azure SQL, Azure Service Bus and MongoDB, using C# / .NET Core for our backend code and ReactJS for the UI. We utilise modern DevOps processes and CI/CD practices, built around Azure DevOps Boards/Repos/Pipelines to encourage a whole team approach to the regular delivery of value to our customers.
As part of a self-managing team you can expect to work collaboratively, providing visibility and accountability through daily stand-ups and a regular cadence of ceremonies, usually across a two-week sprint cycle. We utilise market leading tools including Slack and Zoom to support cross-company communication.
Our Repository Engineering team builds a range of connector libraries to enable Inventory to interact with our customers’ data repositories – for file shares, SharePoint, Teams, DropBox, etc. The team is made up of a mix of software development engineers and test automation engineers, meaning in this role you will:
- Apply your experience and skillset to engineer high quality, maintainable and testable code using test-driven and behaviour-driven development techniques as appropriate
- Work closely with the product owner and key stakeholders to refine acceptance criteria and assure overall product alignment
- Collaborate regularly and provide fast feedback to achieve sprint commitments
- Regularly input into our CI/CD process, checking in and reviewing code, owning deliveries through to production deployment, using the Azure DevOps toolset
- Be committed to maintaining your skillset and keep up to date with emerging technologies
We are passionate about finding great people to join us. We value enthusiasm and dedication to helping the team achieve its goals. Our aim is to nurture an open culture which encourages creative approaches to work where commitments are kept, and your success can be celebrated.
We believe we offer a unique opportunity to further your career and achieve your aspirations working as part of an energetic and vibrant community of committed professionals.
To realise your potential in this role, you will need:
- Industry experience with C# & .NET Core
- A good understanding of TDD practices and microservice architectural patterns, including challenges of scalability, security, and resilience
- Understanding/experience of full DevOps practices, including Continuous Deployment
Useful additional experience may include:
- Experience with Azure Functions, Azure App Services, Azure Service Bus
- Experience creating, deploying, and managing Docker containers, ideally in Azure
- Hands-on experience of deployment automation into an Azure environment
- Experience of operations, cost management & security of SaaS solutions in the cloud
- Relevant Azure certifications, such as AZ-900, AZ-204
We are committed to releasing our staff to innovate and believe it is a core aspect in the life of a healthy development team. We actively encourage individual and team-led innovation time.
Time is also dedicated to personal growth and we actively support skills-based training. All permanent development staff are offered access to Pluralsight and currently we have several team members working towards Microsoft Certifications in Development, DevOps and Azure topics.
- Competitive, market benchmarked salary
- Flexible working, supporting home working up to two days per week *
- Regular individual and team-led innovation time
- MSDN licence & Pluralsight access
- Private medical and life insurance
- Company and individual contribution pension scheme
* During the current health situation we are mostly working remotely but our Winchester office is open on a voluntary basis, and staff are encouraged to use it where they are comfortable doing so
The Recruitment Process:
Our interview process generally consists of two stages. If your CV is selected, we will arrange a 15-30-minute telephone call or Zoom meeting to discuss the role and learn more about your experience and aspirations.
The second stage is a face-to-face interview via Zoom. Prior to the interview we will ask you to complete a development task relevant to the role, with the aim of walking us through the results during the interview. We favour this approach to give you the opportunity to demonstrate your technical skills as well as your ability to problem solve rather than solely basing your application on your CV and Q&A.
All ActiveNav staff are required to comply with the company’s Information Security policies.
Data Discovery Solutions Ltd ta ActiveNav provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, colour, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
You must be able to legally work in the United Kingdom.
Location: Winchester, UK
Type: Full Time
Reports To: Development Manager